Thursday 14 April 2011

Freedom of speech 1940's style

The Keighley News today published a piece about my opinion on The Haworth Village Association's minuted decision to charge a £1 admission charge to the village's Main Street during the 1940's weekend.
I, and by far the majority of people I have spoken to, think it is wrong.
An association member seems to think I should ask his permission before voicing an opinion and another churlish member has banned from from viewing the sparsely attended Facebook page of the association because I dared to express an opinion on there.
To both I say this. The Forties Weekend is a celebration of a time which changed the direction of not just this country but the world. One thing it brought about, in this country certainly, was freedom of speech without recrimination...but not if you cross the might of The Haworth Village Association.
Or to quote Corporal Jones of Dad's Army, "They don't like it up 'em Sir."

No comments:

Post a Comment